Thursday, July 16, 2009

Sucked in

So I'm still finishing off my light summer vacay book. I'm very conflicted about it. I can't decide if the writer sucks at taking a story to the climactic point and beyond, or if she gambled and won with the guess that people would continue reading pointless chapter after pointless chapter on the assumption that eventually she would tie it all together. Honestly, I'm more focused on this aspect of the book than on the plot itself, since you know, there isn't one and all. Sequence, point of view, plot... all these traditional aspects of classic writing were abandoned completely. And not in an edgy post-mod kind of way either. Like in a sloppy, jotted on napkins because you needed the rent money, don't give a crap kind of way. Further proof to me that the people who write the glowing reviews must only read one chapter.

Now that I sound like a crotchety old fart with an axe to grind, I'll soothe my anger by deleting things from the DVR and preparing for work tomorrow.

P.S. People who take advantage of the elderly should be shot. A coworker of mine told his mom never to make a big purchase without double checking it with the family first to make sure she wasn't talked into anything stupid. Wonder how I can convince my parents to do that in a few years without getting disowned for making it seem like my judgment is better than theirs. Hm...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Did somebody say cake?! Oh sorry, what were you saying?